Immigrant Love: Getting Engaged Or Married To An Immigrant

Publish Date


Post Category

A couple’s journey together may face additional challenges if one of them is immigrating. However, there may be an option for reuniting with your soul mate!

A K1 Visa may be an option if your fiancé(e) is in a different country.

K1: Fiancé(e) Visa

Love knows no bounds and may find you when you are far from home, or it may blossom when two people are far from each other. Do you love someone in another country? If you decide to take the relationship forward, a Fiancé(e) Visa may be the answer. Here is some basic information to consider.

  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you can bring your foreign fiancé(e) to the United States to get married. You must file a petition to obtain a visa for your fiancé(e)
  • To obtain a visa, you must intend to get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the U.S., and your marriage must be valid, meaning you both intend to establish a life together.
  • If you marry within the allowed time, your new spouse may apply for lawful permanent resident status (Green Card).
  • You and your fiancé(e) must have met in person at least once within the two years before you file your petition. However, there may be a waiver available in some situations.


The advantage of the Fiancé(e) Visa is that both of you will have extra time together in the United States to be confident of your decision before you get married.

If you want to apply, call us at (469) 844-0020 and schedule a consultation with our lawyer.

We will be happy to help you with your love story!

If you are already married, you may petition your spouse.

Marriage Green Card

Love is often a force that keeps immigrants going as they push to conquer many obstacles. The love of your life may already be in the United States, and you are about to get married. You may have been married abroad or are trying to get together again after a lengthy separation.

In these cases, both citizens and legal residents can file a family petition for their spouse. Once you legally marry, your spouse becomes an immediate relative if you are a citizen. If you are a resident, the petition would be in a priority preference category, and a visa would likely be immediately available.

Petitioning your spouse

If you are a U.S. citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident, you may submit a petition for your foreign spouse. If your request is approved, your spouse can apply for a Green Card.

Your marriage must be “bona fide.” As part of the application process, you will need to prove a real marriage (with relevant evidence) to confirm you are not attempting to evade immigration laws with a fraudulent marriage.

If your spouse is already present in the United States, once your petition is approved, they may file for Adjustment Status to get their residence (Green Card). There may be a waiver for a petitioned spouse (green card applicant) if they do not have a valid migratory status.

If your spouse is outside of the United States or does not have legal status at the time, they may need to apply for their visa through the U.S. Consulate in their own country. Consulting an immigration lawyer before stepping out of the country helps to avoid any risks.

Immigration history: crucial details about your partner

Ask your partner about their immigration history: whenever a benefit such as a visa or a residence status is requested, U.S. authorities will thoroughly review the immigration history of the potential beneficiary. Immigration history includes all entries and exits from the U.S., past visas if they exist, and possible infractions to immigration law.

Depending on your partner’s history, the options for you may change or require additional steps. An immigration lawyer will be able to guide you so you can take the best available road to reunite, considering risks and opportunities.

How long will it take?

You and your fiancé(e) or spouse will have to wait to reunite while you complete all required steps and USCIS processes applications.

Many factors influence the time it takes for an immigration process to finalize. Remember, each case is unique, and the characteristics of your case make it different from any other.

We are certain the best way to reduce the waiting time is to start as soon as possible. However, you must check the application is clear and complete since any mistakes may delay the process.

Love can bring challenges, especially when you cannot be with your loved one. Get professional help to bring your fiancé(e) or your spouse to the U.S.!

At Armstrong Legal, we would enjoy hearing your love story and helping you reunite with your partner in the United States.

Call us at (469) 844-0020 and schedule a consultation! Our office is in Dallas, Texas, but we also offer telephone and virtual consultations. We would be honored to serve you!